evaluation


Evaluation

A radio drama


My idea kind of came straight to me on what I wanted to do, but I did get inspiration from a fan fiction I had been reading at the time where one of the characters had written the other a love letter which I took and twisted it so my main character had died and written this letter to love of their life, which I also wanted to represent lgbt which my two main characters are both females in a relationship and the letter tells us how much she loved her to a bit about their parents not excepting who they are and that they are in love and that they were meant to be.

 I also had a personal experience to help me write this letter to produce it to the best I could but I wasn’t aiming it anyone prearticular, I was hurting and had inspiration to write this idea out of a final goodbye, by letter form, and with my idea I didn’t want the characters death to be caused by an illness but by being a police officer gave me the idea to have her work partner to deliver this letter to her loved one and going through the process of her not getting to say goodbye to the woman she loved, and her going through the pain of never getting to see her again, but I did want to change the script when I was half way through recoding to add an extra but to the start of the drama so we could see the character getting shot, but then I chose not to do it because I didn’t want to show that she got shot but just having to imagine that she got shot.

I feel that I could have done a bit more research because it was a bit struggle to find radio dramas that was trying to produce something that I was doing the genre of a romance, and all I kept finding was crime, horror (which was popular genre in the radio drama), so I could have done better by researching the genre romance in different media products maybe to see how they are written and how they are produced instead of looking at horror radio dramas.

My planning was well sorted I thought because I planned using the sound booth with my actors and actress when it was best for them which was mainly a Thursday to which they helped me a lot, at the start I thought I had the right people playing the characters before I heard them voice my characters but then when I heard them playing the characters I had to change the actress for Elle with the actress who played P.C Johnson because I thought the actress fitted the characters that they were playing after the switch perfectly.

Within the production stage I thought everything was going well then I had to switch my actress and then had to do a last minute change of my character from a female to a male because I had my actress pulling out on me last minuet to which I had to voice one of my main characters as well as my actress wasn’t feeling well and I was running out of time, I have struggled to come up with the sound effects that I wanted and with my time running out I couldn’t use the equipment to produce my own because we was limited to what we had and other students needing to use so I’ve gone to YouTube to find me sound effects to go with my drama which I have become successful for some but not many.

updated:
i believe the outcome was suitable for my target audience and maybe a little lower, but i deffently knew my radio drama wouldnt be appealing to those at a very young age so aiming it at teens and young adults and older seemed more reasonable then giving a five year old a radio drama about death and getting my research from radio 4 their listeners are aged above 50 and split between male and female, which mine would be aimed to the female variety and also to the lgbt community.
i got feedback from my peers,

  •  holly liked the story and she said that i could improve on the police siren as it was too long of use, she like the other effects i had used.
  • Alex was kind of the same he agreed that holly said about the sirens and he also said i could have ended it more smoothly rather then it just cutting off.

Comments